Black Forest of Germany • A Must See!
Black Forest is the largest forested mountain range located in Baden-Württemberg, south-west Germany.
It got its name from the repressive canopy of evergreens that emerge above the forest floor.
Black Forest poses an oblong shape and has become Germanys most beautiful region. It features vineyards, sunny peaks, wide panoramic views, calm forests and fantastic family destinations. It is also home to two of Germany's biggest nature parks!
BEST TIME TO VISIT:
Early spring or late summer
While you are here, you simply must have the delicious Black Forest Gateau (Pun intended!) hehe
BEST WAY TO GET THERE:
See Black Forest by train! Take the line from Donaueschingen to Offenburg. This passes through the forest allowing passengers to enjoy breath-taking views! Get the "Länder" ticket which is valid for 24 hours so you have more than enough time to explore and even stay the night!
There is so much to do and see at this wonderful destination! Get into some pretty amazing activities while at Black Forest.
- Outdoor swimming
- Open-air pools and water slides
- South of Freudenstadt to experience one of the most blissful swimming locations in Europe!
• Lake Titisee and Schluchsee
• Silver Lake in Reinerzau
These beautiful man made and world-famous lakes are also ideal for swimming.
• Explore the different footpaths and cycle routes around Black Forest
• Visit some of the Castles in the area including; Burg Hohenbaden, Rastatt Castle, Der Burgruine and Wallburg Rinkenberg.
• When do waterfalls cease to take your breath away? Visit some of the amazing waterfalls including; Geroldsauer Wasserfall, Menzenschwander Wasserfalle and Todtmios Waterfall.
• Beautiful half timbered villages and towns such as Kinzig and Gutach Valley which are quaint and picturesque!
• Drive through Schwarzwaldhochstraße aka "Black Forest High Road" which is the oldest and best known themed drives in Germany. This route passes through Kinzig and Gutach Valleys which are classic landscapes and offer interesting insights about the traditional village life in the area.
• Visit the Schwarzwälder Freilichtmuseum. This is an open air museum based around an old farm that was established in 1570.
• Have some family fun at some of the nature parks at Black Forest. There are 2 large Nature Parks that are popular with tourists and visitors;
- The NaturPark Schwarzwald Mitte/Nord
- The NaturPark Südschwarzwald
FUN FACT: Black Forest was depicted in the Brothers Grimm as a setting in the fairy tale film Directed by Terry Gilliam.
There is so much to see, do, explore and learn in this beautiful, cultural and traditional area of Germany! For more exciting spots to check out in Black Forest, check out "KANGAS Top 7 Places To Visit In Germany's Black Forest" here